Mayoral candidate Katjana Ballantyne knows the importance of unions and local unions have responded in kind. Ballantyne has received more union endorsements than any other candidate.
She said, “These union endorsements underscore my continuing efforts on behalf of working families in Somerville. Organized labor is an important partner in making our city a better place for workers to live, work, and raise a family.”
- “Since being elected to the Somerville City Council, you have worked tirelessly on behalf of Somerville’s working families, ensuring that workers have a strong, vocal voice on the City Council,” said Sean M. O’Brien, president of Teamsters Local Union No. 25. “We commend you for your support of the City Council Resolution that ensures that Amazon meets or exceeds Community Standards that Somerville expects of its’ employers.”
- Brendan Keogh, chairman of the Committee on Political Education, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local No. 2222, noted that its members are dealing with workforce decline due, in part, to employers prioritizing “shareholders profit and executive compensation at the expense of consumers and workers.” As a result, he said, the union “unanimously agreed that we must endorse a candidate that not only understands our issues but shares our values and champions our ideals.”
- “Our membership recognizes your strong advocacy for improvements needed to better our Local, particularly the need for a permanent fire department presence in the Assembly Square section of the city,” said Michael Jefferson, President of Somerville Firefighters Local 76. “Your willingness to always answer when called upon and sit down to have discussions on the issues has never gone unnoticed or unappreciated.”
- “During your tenure as an elected official, you have always supported your local firefighters. You have made it a priority to be available to listen to the issues that impact our membership and work collaboratively to find solutions,” said Rich MacKinnon, Jr., president of the Professional Fire Fighters of Massachusetts. “You understand how vital organized labor is to expand opportunities and improve the lives of working families.”
- “We appreciate your dedication and commitment to working families,” said James R. Lister, Business Manager for The International Association of Heat & Frost Insulators and Allied Workers Union, Local 6. “We thank you for all past support and we wish you continued success in your upcoming election.”
To see what your neighbors and elected officials have to say about Katjana, be sure to check out: